Thursday, 30 December 2010


One thing I became accustom to whilst exploring abandoned sites for inspiration was the amount of dust everywhere. This led me to the idea of creating type from dust.

Hidden London

This experiment uses the effects of sun exposure to create type on a surface. Unfortunately the photos have not done the results justice.

Cress Experiment

Trying to grow my own type seemed a simple enough task...a robust stencil, carefully planted seeds and a bit of tender loving care? However, the amount of time and effort put into this experiment almost made the end result worthless. Nonetheless it was interesting and it worked, albeit not as well as i had hoped.

Wednesday, 29 December 2010

Rusted Type

Way back in the first year of my degree I did a number of typographic experiments for a project titled 'Hidden London'. I stumbled upon these images whilst trying to sort through archives of mess on my computer.

The idea behind this project was mankind's constant need to claim new territory. My study was on abandoned buildings and I wanted to explore the way we take land, develop it and then leave it for one reason or another. I noticed a cycle in this process in which natures urge to flourish is held back by man until they leave the land they have built on. Abandoned spaces begin to decay and nature is able to grow and reclaim the land. The cycle then starts again.

I wanted to represent this by creating type out of natural processes. With my input I controlled the growth and shape of the type, but when I abandoned my work, nature took over and my creations were swallowed.

These photos show the stages of rust as I control it to create type. Out of all the type experiments for 'Hidden London', this was by far the most successful.

Apologies for the poor quality photos.

Tuesday, 28 December 2010


Our first industry oriented brief was set by a designer from Spin. The project asked us to design an exhibition poster for an artist showing at the Haunch of Venison gallery in London. I chose to focus on Dan Flavin whose minimalist light installations made some incredible photos. My aim was to create a typeface that both reflected and complimented his work.

These are a few of my initial ideas.

Lost Knowledge

Lost knowledge was a print-making exhibition held in LCC's Well Gallery and The Camden Collective throughout November and December 2010. Credit must go to Nathan Gotlib, who organised and curated the shows with great success.

This was the first time my work appeared in a public show and I was very proud to be a part of this exhibition.

Better Late Than Never...

After many months of procrastination I finally got around to screen printing my 'Impossible Letters' and a few months after made its way onto the blog.
The letters were always meant to be realised through a silk screen but it was the invitation to exhibit my work that finally got me to print them. The amount of shapes and layers for each letter meant that four screens had to be used for just one print. The level of precision required for such a task meant that I spent most my time on a light-box lining everything up.

Images of the finished prints to come...