One thing I became accustom to whilst exploring abandoned sites for inspiration was the amount of dust everywhere. This led me to the idea of creating type from dust.
Thursday, 30 December 2010
Trying to grow my own type seemed a simple enough task...a robust stencil, carefully planted seeds and a bit of tender loving care? However, the amount of time and effort put into this experiment almost made the end result worthless. Nonetheless it was interesting and it worked, albeit not as well as i had hoped.
Wednesday, 29 December 2010
Way back in the first year of my degree I did a number of typographic experiments for a project titled 'Hidden London'. I stumbled upon these images whilst trying to sort through archives of mess on my computer.
I wanted to represent this by creating type out of natural processes. With my input I controlled the growth and shape of the type, but when I abandoned my work, nature took over and my creations were swallowed.
These photos show the stages of rust as I control it to create type. Out of all the type experiments for 'Hidden London', this was by far the most successful.
Apologies for the poor quality photos.
Tuesday, 28 December 2010
Our first industry oriented brief was set by a designer from Spin. The project asked us to design an exhibition poster for an artist showing at the Haunch of Venison gallery in London. I chose to focus on Dan Flavin whose minimalist light installations made some incredible photos. My aim was to create a typeface that both reflected and complimented his work.
These are a few of my initial ideas.
Lost knowledge was a print-making exhibition held in LCC's Well Gallery and The Camden Collective throughout November and December 2010. Credit must go to Nathan Gotlib, who organised and curated the shows with great success.
This was the first time my work appeared in a public show and I was very proud to be a part of this exhibition.
After many months of procrastination I finally got around to screen printing my 'Impossible Letters' and a few months after that...it made its way onto the blog.
The letters were always meant to be realised through a silk screen but it was the invitation to exhibit my work that finally got me to print them. The amount of shapes and layers for each letter meant that four screens had to be used for just one print. The level of precision required for such a task meant that I spent most my time on a light-box lining everything up.
Images of the finished prints to come...
Tuesday, 13 April 2010
Thursday, 8 April 2010
This project required us to create a mapping system of the unknown. My idea was to create a map of the body, but in a certain way. As a black belt in Wada Ryu I am in possession of specialist knowledge of pressure point fighting and how all the points affect different places/organs in the body, or so i thought. What I believed to be a secret art form I was shocked to find it posted all over the internet for anyone to read and learn. Taking this into account I decided to create an 'Idiots Guide to Hurting People', a simple manual based around those flat pack furniture manuals you get from places like Ikea.
What follows are some of the pages from that manual, the photos of the final bound guide will be uploaded soon.
Enjoy...and use with caution.
Monday, 15 March 2010
My first experience with a Holga. Nothing that will set the world alight and I imagine a very good picture is not as easy to achieve as I had first thought. The accidental quality is what I am looking for and the following pictures show there is definite promise with this camera.
A trip to the beach in our second year was the source of inspiration for this project, where we had to generate a story that revolved round a found artifact. My discovery of the morning was a clay pipe that dated back to the 1700's. The parameters for this brief was that there was to be no image used to help illustrate our story...it was a purely typographic experiment.